What Types of Marijuana Business Licenses Exist?
Does your business have the correct license for weed activities, including transporting, producing, selling, or growing it?
Like cannabis laws, business licensing requirements vary from state to state. Without the proper paperwork, your company risks profit losses, penalties, and other setbacks.
Want to make sure your commercially-grown outdoor marijuana seeds don’t go to waste? Here are the main types of cannabis business licenses you need to know about:
Marijuana Cultivation License
This cannabis business license allows large-scale cultivators to grow, plant, propagate, harvest, cure, dry, trim, and grade weed. It permits the chemical and physical alteration of cannabis components and gives companies the right to share their products.
Here are some of the business requirements for a marijuana cultivation license:
- Provide documents showing effective, working, and adequate facilities
- Undergo analytical and chemical contamination tests in-house or via a third-party
- Have a security clearance certificate to verify authenticity
- Understand the Cannabis Act and its regulations
- Businesses must have a master grower on board that can propagate, cultivate, and harvest cannabis
- Provide a record of persons with access to the storage areas
- Install an effective security system to prevent unauthorized access
There are several marijuana business licenses for cultivation, depending on the canopy size, plant numbers, artificial light usage, and growing techniques.
Marijuana Distribution License
This cannabis business license allows you to transport weed products between various locations and perform specific duties.
Here are some of the functions of a marijuana distribution license:
- Move cannabis between cultivation, manufacturing, and distribution locations
- Record and track transactions
- Ensure quality packaging
- Purchase cannabis products for business from growers and other companies
- Sell marijuana products to licensed retailers
- Provide temporary storage services
All employees in weed distribution departments require a valid license, including marketers and drivers. You can’t use a distribution license to sell weed through retail sales.
Marijuana Manufacturing License
This cannabis business license allows you to perform various manufacturing duties, including refining, processing, and grading marijuana.
Here’s how you can get a marijuana manufacturing license:
- Get local approval first: Ensure you meet the municipality’s regulations before applying for a state-level manufacturing license.
- Get the necessary certificates: After local approval, apply for a building permit to create a location suitable for manufacturing cannabis products. Once you’re done with the modifications, carry out an inspection to receive a certificate of occupancy.
- Fill out the application forms: The last step lies under some paperwork and varies from state to state. You need to provide information about waste disposal, local compliance, business formation documents, financial interest holders, and written statements from building owners.
After submitting all the necessary forms, you can expect a verdict within 12–24 months. It’s essential to have everything in order before applying for a marijuana manufacturing license.
Marijuana Dispensary License
Are you thinking about opening a retail operation? You’ll need a weed-selling license. A marijuana dispensary license allows you to sell various cannabis products to the public. It also protects you from legal disputes, makes you trustworthy, and gives you some tax incentives.
Here are some ways to fast-track your license approval process:
- Choose the right location: Opt for more neutral retail zones and avoid close proximity to churches, houses, and schools.
- Connect with your community: Take care of your customers to reduce your chances of getting negative reviews and complaints during your application process.
- Consider your branding: Your dispensary name plays a significant role in whether or not you receive a license. Keep it adult-appropriate and avoid slang or medical terms.
- Involve industry experts: Get guidance from people that have experience in dispensary licenses. They can help you implement the correct protocols and avoid common rookie errors.
- Understand your state’s requirements: Every state has unique rules. Some are more intricate than others, so becoming acquainted with them is essential.
You won’t be allowed to apply for a marijuana dispensary license if your state doesn’t permit them.
Marijuana Delivery License
This cannabis business license allows you to deliver orders to online customers. It’s not limited to a particular location and lets you serve a larger region.
Here’s what you need to get a license to sell marijuana via delivery:
- Ensure you have the right software that allows customers to place orders, check out, and receive deliveries.
- Implement the necessary compliance measures, like a GPS tracker, detailed transaction records, and no products over $3,000.
- Provide a list of drivers you want to hire, ensuring you test their experience and integrity.
Online-only stores require a retailer non-storefront business license, while brick-and-mortar stores need a retailer business license.
Marijuana Microbusiness License
This cannabis license allows small companies to grow, manufacture, and distribute weed on a small scale.
Here are some of the requirements to obtain a marijuana microbusiness license:
- The owner must have lived in the applicable state for at least two years. Some regions also require employees, directors, and officers to reside in the same municipality.
- There must be a maximum of 10 employees.
- The owner must have no interest in another company.
- Every state has strict regulations on the number of plants and total land size occupancy. The former has a limit of 1,000 plants or 1,000 pounds of cannabis. The latter has an average spatial restriction of 2,500 sq./f and no more than 24 feet vertically.
The Lowdown on Cannabis Business Licenses
Whether growing, selling, or transporting cannabis, you need a valid marijuana license to perform your duties legally. Without the necessary paperwork, your company could get shut down, lose money, face penalties, and suffer other potential setbacks.
Avoid legal mishaps and get the right license for your weed business today.
What Types of Marijuana Business Licenses Exist?
Cortney Bennett, a pharmacist at I49 Seed Bank, with 5+ years in the pharmacy field regarding cannabis. Cortney constantly upgrades her knowledge and skills in the weed industry. She has learned the characteristics of the different marijuana types and their effects on the human body in detail. Her constant thirst for knowledge allows her to stay up to date with all the latest research and discoveries in the cannabis field.
About Cannin: Your Cannabis Stocks Resource
78% of Cannin’s fundamentals prove true within 30 days or less on 100+ recommendations over the past 2 years.
Cannin is your #1 trusted resource for cannabis stocks. Our global team of experts evaluates all emerging cannabis stock investing opportunities. In fact, we aggregate hundreds of hours of financial research and provide tips on the best cannabis stocks for 2021.
Use Cannin as your resource for:
Market analysts expect the marijuana and hemp industry will have an annual value exceeding $75 Billion in the next decade. Is it too late to invest in marijuana stocks? No! This is the perfect time to invest.
Are you looking to buy stock in hemp companies or marijuana companies for 2021? If so, are you interested in new penny hemp stock companies? Or, looking for the best Canadian cannabis stocks to invest in? Maybe, you’re looking to leverage the power of algorithmic stock trading to beat the cannabis market? We can help.
Predict price movements of cannabis stocks several hours in advance with our proprietary algorithmic stock trading software.
- +34% Gains in 2022
- +56% Gains in 2021
- +30% Gains in 2020
- +49.8% Gains in 2019
- Backtested since 2012
In fact, we’re so confident you’ll love our algotrading cannabis stock signals, we’re willing to give you a one week risk-free trial to see it for yourself.
Profit from the best cannabis stocks – we’ll show you how at cannin.com.